The War Hound and the World's Pain
The first volume in the Von Bek sequence by Michael Moorcock, featuring the Graf Ulrich von Bek. It is followed by The City in the Autumn Stars. It was originally published in the United States by Timescape.
Publishing History (UK)
- Hardcover, NEL, 198pp, ISBN: 0-450-04912-4, 1982, Cover by Chris Achilleos
- Paperback, NEL, 198pp, ISBN: 0-450-05603-1, 1983, Cover by Chris Achilleos
- Von Bek, Millennium, 1992, (hc/tp), 1995 (pb)
- Von Bek, Gollancz, 2013
Publishing History (US)
- Hardcover, Timescape, 182pp, ISBN: 0-671-43708-9, 1981, Cover by Rowena Morrill
- Paperback, Timescape, 182pp, ISBN: 0-671-83412-6, 1982, Cover by Rowena Morrill
- Paperback, Pocket Books, 207pp, ISBN: 0-671-60409-0, 1985
- Von Bek, White Wolf, 1995, (hc), 1996, (tp)
- "The editor of Timescape Books (American) wanted another book from me. I wanted to get away from straight sword and sorcery with imagined landscapes, so I wrote this one. There are another two in the pipeline, which follow on so to speak. Not the same characters, but the same family - the Von Bek. The second one is set some one hundred and fifty years on from The Warhound. It's in the period of the French Revolution. The books are set around the change from, as it were, the age of religion into the age of science. I'm finishing off the second one now and the third one is partly drafted. They're called The City In The Autumn Stars and Manfred; or The Gentleman Houri."
- Interview with Michael Moorcock from Imagine Magazine #22, January 1985
We provide the links below as clues to where to begin your search for this book. We do not guarantee its availability. You may find books not related to Michael Moorcock with the links below, especially where there are many similar titles. Moorcock's Miscellany does not sell books, but we get a small commission from each of the sellers below that goes toward the upkeep of this site.