Gloriana; or, The Unfulfill’d Queen
Fantasy novel set in an alternate- world England. Winner of the World Fantasy Award and the John W. Campbell Memorial Award.
Publishing History (UK)
- Hardcover, Allison & Busby, 348pp., ISBN: 0-85031-237-X, April 1978, Cover by Jill Riches
- Mass Market Paperback, Fontana, 378pp., ISBN: 0-00-614461-6, Oct 1978, Cover by Gustave Moreau
- Paperback, Flamingo, 384pp., ISBN: 0-00-654059-7, Mar 1986, Cover by A.H. Tanoux
- Trade Paperback, Phoenix, 368pp., ISBN: 1-85799-041-2, 1 April 1993, Cover by James Ward
- Trade Paperback, Gollancz, 368pp., ISBN: 0-575-07359-4, 18 Oct 2001, Cover by Gustave Moreau
Publishing History (US)
- Mass Market Paperback, Avon, ISBN: 0-380-42986-1, 1979, Cover by Elizabeth Malczynski
- Mass Market Paperback, Popular Library/Questar, ISBN: 0-445-20271-8, Aug 1986, Cover by Robert Gould
- Trade Paperback, Warner Aspect, 496pp., ISBN: 0-446-69140-2, Jul 2004, Cover by Nicholas Hilliard
- Hardcover, SFBC, ISBN: 0-7394-5191-X, 2005, Cover by Bruce Steele
- "I realised after I'd written the book that that sequence MIGHT be used to justify rape and indeed similar arguments HAD been used to justify rape, so I changed it. Given the opportunity to discuss the issue, and thus state in an afterword that nothing justifies rape, I returned the original ending, but published the revised one, also. Otherwise, there were no changes made from the first edition through subsequent editions, even though The Encyclopedia of Fantasy claims that there were and that, by implication, my 'feminism' spoiled that and other books. I was extremely annoyed that John Clute, a friend of many years, should not only make that assumption, which showed he hadn't read the revised book, but that he insisted on retaining the 'charge'. It probably doesn't seem very important, but I was surprised that he should insist on a lie. The issue, sadly, brought that friendship to an end."
We provide the links below as clues to where to begin your search for this book. We do not guarantee its availability. You may find books not related to Michael Moorcock with the links below, especially where there are many similar titles. Moorcock's Miscellany does not sell books, but we get a small commission from each of the sellers below that goes toward the upkeep of this site.