The Jade Man’s Eyes
A novella of Elric originally published as a separate book in 1973.
First announced as a story title in Golden Nugget magazine in 1966 for future publication in SF Impulse (formerly Science Fantasy), it may or may not have been written around this time. The story did not appear in print until the Unicorn edition of 1973. The chronology of the story was revised when it was subsequently incorporated as 'Sailing into the Past' into The Sailor on the Seas of Fate.
- Paperback, Unicorn, ISBN: 0-85659-010-X, 1973, Cover by James Cawthorn
Original Text Appearances
- Flashing Swords! #2, ed. Lin Carter, 1974 (various editions)
- Elric: To Rescue Tanelorn, Del Rey, 2008
Revised Text Appearances
- The Sailor on the Seas of Fate, Quartet, 1976 (and subsequent editions)
- Elric: Duke Elric, Del Rey, 2009
- Elric: The Sailor on the Seas of Fate, Gollancz, 2014
Originally the tale sat much later in the Saga and Elric's companion in the original version is Moonglum rather than Count Smiorgan Baldhead. According to the introduction to the story in the anthology, Flashing Swords! #2, the 'tale belongs between The Singing Citadel and The Stealer of Souls'.
Other changes include:
- the meeting of Duke Avan is much revised - moved from Pikaryd to Lormyr
- scenes in Chalal at the beginning are removed, together with the introduction
- as the Jade Man leaves, the reference to Arioch going to Pan Tang is deleted
- Page 54 of the UK edition of Flashing Swords! #2
We provide the links below as clues to where to begin your search for this book. We do not guarantee its availability. You may find books not related to Michael Moorcock with the links below, especially where there are many similar titles. Moorcock's Miscellany does not sell books, but we get a small commission from each of the sellers below that goes toward the upkeep of this site.