The Third World War
A sequence of short stories told in the first person by an unnamed Russian agent in London, mostly, leading up to the third world war. The recurring central character, a Jew, describes his experiences of those years until he is called into action with a Cossack division of cavalry in a world ravaged by nuclear strikes.
The final three stories in the sequence were first published in the French language collection Kaboul et autres souvenirs de la troisième guerre mondiale (2018), two of which have yet to be published in English.
Chronologically, the first story written/published, 'Crossing into Cambodia', appeared to be the final story in the sequence until the publication of 'Le retour d'Odysseus' in the French language collection Kaboul et autres souvenirs de la troisième guerre mondiale.
- Dancing in Rome, 2018
- Casablanca, 1989
- Going to Canada, 1980
- Leaving Pasadena, 1980
- Kabul, 2018
- Crossing into Cambodia, 1979
- Odysseus Came Home, 2018
- In a revised version of 'Crossing into Cambodia', which appeared in the White Wolf hardcover and Millennium mass-market paperback editions of Earl Aubec and Other Stories, the unnamed protagonist was identified as Bekov.
- First publication in French as Danse à Rome.
- First publication in French as Kaboul; first English language appearence in 2019.
- First publication in French as Le retour d'Odysseus.